Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Church Buildings

I’ve decided to rather split the now infamous “part 2” into a few separate blogs instead of just one. The way I feel now about church didn’t happen overnight, so why should my blog!? Besides, I like putting things in their own little boxes and categorizing my thoughts, and seen as this is my blog, that’s what I’m going to do :)

I’m going to start with the part that was the easiest for me, buildings.

Are they completely necessary? (Just to set the record straight in case anyone was wondering, I’m just talking about church buildings here, not other buildings like homes, etc. I happen to like my house a lot, and wasn’t planning on living outside or anything ;).
If we are the church, then consequently whenever we meet together we’re having “church”! Therefore, we could theoretically meet anywhere for fellowship.
In fact, it seems to me that the Apostles encouraged the meeting homes, surely if they wanted us to build large church buildings to gather in they would have rather said that?

Here's a thought. What would happen if your church met somewhere that didn't cost anything? Think how many ways that money could be used for something else. E.g. helping the poor, widows and orphans (which, when the NT believers gathered money, was what they used it for)

I’m not just talking about churches who are still busy paying off their buildings, I’m also talking about those who have plans to build bigger ones. Even churches who aren’t actually paying anything on their building, couldn’t that building still be sold and the money given to those in need?

Ok, I’ve probably offended enough people, so I think I’ll stop there for this thought.

Check out these verses that talk about the early church meeting each other homes:
Acts 2:46 and 8:3
Romans 16:5
1 Corinthians 16:19
Col 4:15
Philemon vs 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails